Immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident

If you wish to immigrate to Canada permanently there are various ways to apply. Find out if there is an immigration program for you.

Express Entry Visa

Express Entry is a system that manages how people with skilled work experience apply to immigrate to Canada. It is called Express Entry. You must use Express Entry if you want to apply:

  • under the Federal Skilled Worker Program,
  • under the Canadian Experience Class,
  • under the Federal Skilled Trades Program,or
  • as a provincial nominee, in some cases.

Express Entry is an electronic process involving the federal government, provincial governments, and Canadian employers. Skilled immigrants will be matched with vacant jobs where there are no available Canadian workers. Eligible employers who cannot find a Canadian or permanent resident for a permanent job will be able to consider candidates from the pool who meet their needs. Express Entry candidates will need to register with Job Bank if they do not already have a Canadian job offer or a provincial/territorial nomination. Candidates are encouraged to promote themselves to employers in other ways, such as using job boards, recruiters etc.

The Express Entry involves completing an online Express Entry profile. This is a secure form used to provide information about your:

  • skills;
  • work experience;
  • language ability;
  • education; and
  • other factors that help immigrants prosper once in Canada.

All Express Entry candidates will be given a score out of 1200, based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) formula. If you meet the requirements of one of the federal immigration programs mentioned above you will be admitted to the Express Entry pool.

If you are one of the highest ranking candidates from the pool during the invitation round you will receive an “Invitation to Apply”. An invitation is valid for 90 days after the day on which it is issued by IRCC. Within the 90 days, you must submit your application for Canadian permanent residence. Rounds of Invitation occur several times during the year.

Candidates in the Express Entry pool who do not receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence after 12 months may resubmit their profile and re-enter the pool if they still meet the criteria.

IRCC’s goal is a six-month or less processing time from the day they receive a complete application for permanent residence to the day a final decision is made.
Anyone who has provided false information could be found inadmissible for misrepresentation and could be barred for five years from applying for permanent resident status.

Contact us for further consultation and information on how to prepare for the Express Entry.

Skilled Worker

Skilled workers are people who will contribute to Canada's growing economy. Successful applicants will receive a Permanent Resident card.  You must meet the 6 selection factors in the skilled worker points grid, which are:

  • Education;
  • Abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages. You must take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) ;
  • Work experience from the list of eligible occupations;
  • Age;
  • Arranged employment in Canada;
  • Adaptability.

Canadian Experience Class

If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you may be eligible to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. The province of Quebec is the only province that is not part of this program. You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience in O, A or B jobs from the National Occupational Classification system (NOC). Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week. Meet the required language skills needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening). For NOC O or A jobs, the minimum level of CLB 7 is required in either English or French for all four language abilities and CLB 5 for NOC B job.

You cannot use work experience in the following jobs under the National Occupational Classification system (NOC) to qualify for the CEC:

  • Cooks (NOC 6322)
  • Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)

Skilled Trades

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FTS) allows individuals with job offers or appropriate certification to work in certain trade occupations to obtain Canadian Permanent Residency in Canada other than Quebec. In order to qualify for Permanent Residence you must fulfill the following minimum requirements:

  • Have offer of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration or a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body;
  • Have obtained twenty-four months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years;
  • Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and you have performed the essential duties of the occupation;
  • Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization, demonstrating that the you  meet the minimum threshold set by CIC. Canadian Level Benchmark (CLB) is 5 for speaking and listening, 4 for reading and writing;

The Quebec Skilled Workers

The Quebec Skilled Workers is designed to indicate which applicants are likely to become economically established upon immigration to Quebec. An applicant can qualify for the Quebec Skilled Worker category if they hold either a validated job offer in Quebec or possess experience in a targeted area of training. The Quebec Skilled Worker program, takes into consideration the following criteria:

  • Age (with most points awarded to applicants between ages 18-35);
  • Education;
  • Field of study (with more points being given for fields of study in demand in Quebec);
  • Experience;
  • Linguistic abilities in the French and English languages (with emphasis on the French language);
  • Spouse’s education, age and French linguistic abilities;
  • Close family members in Quebec;
  • Prior study, work or travels in Quebec;
  • Accompanying Children;
  • Arranged employment offer in Quebec.

Business Class

If you have experience running or investing in businesses will lead you to live in Canada permanently. The three business class categories are:

  • Investors visa to live in the province of Quebec.
  • Start-up Visa - Launch your own business to live Canada
  • Self-employed - Become self-employed anywhere in Canada

Please contact us to discuss personalized solutions for your business immigration needs.

Provincial Nominees Program (PNP)

Each Canadian province and has their own unique Provincial Nomination Programs. With the exception of  the province of Quebec, which has their own selection programs. To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program you must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory.

Family Class

If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen family Class Immigration reunites families from abroad. They will become permanent residents. You can sponsor:

  • spouse
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).


You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

  • did not meet the terms of a sponsorship agreement in the past,
  • did not pay alimony or child support even though a court ordered it,
  • get government financial help for reasons other than being disabled,
  • were convicted of certain offenses,
  • were sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner in the past and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago,
  • did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments,
  • are in prison or
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.


Canadian Citizenship

To qualify for Canadian citizenship you must  physically live in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,095 days in the five (5) years immediately before you apply for citizenship. In addition:

  • You may be able to count each day of physical presence in  Canada as a temporary resident or protected person towards meeting  the  physical presence requirement. A temporary resident includes a visitor, student, worker or temporary resident permit holder;
  • Meet all applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file income taxes for any three  (3) taxation years that are fully or partially within the five  (5) years immediately before you apply;
  • Have the ability to  speak and understand the English or French language. You must submit proof that demonstrates you can speak and listen in English or French of at least a level 4.  This applies to     persons 18 to 54 years of age.
  • If you have committed a crime in or outside Canada, you may not be eligible to become a Canadian citizen for a period of time. This includes if you:
    • are serving a sentence outside Canada
    • are serving a term of imprisonment, on parole or on probation in Canada
    • are charged with, on trial for, or involved in an appeal of an indictable offence in Canada  or offence outside Canada
    • have been convicted in the four years before applying for citizenship of an indictable offence in Canada or  an offence outside Canada
  • Time spent serving a term of imprisonment, on parole, or on probation doesn’t count as time you have lived in Canada.


Note: If you were born abroad to a Canadian parent you may be a Canadian citizen. But, not all children born outside of Canada to Canadian parents automatically become Canadian citizens. Making an Application for Certificate of Citizenship is the official way to see if you are.