Entering Canada as a temporary resident

Most foreign nationals flying to Canada as a tourist,  business visitor or in-transit, must apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp before you book your flight to Canada. You do not need to apply for an eTA if you are a, U.S. citizen, foreign national with a valid Canadian visa such as a work or study permit, Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident or dual (Canadian) citizen. BE ADVISED: Canadian dual citizens must travel to Canada with their Canadian passport.

DO NOT WAIT until the last minute to apply. Although the eTA application is usually approved within minutes via an email, some applications can take several days to process. The immigration fee is $7.00 CAD. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport you used to apply for your eTA expires. The eTA allows you to travel to Canada several times and stay for up to six months. The Canadian Border Officer will advise you how long you are authorized to stay in Canada. Contact us for assistance.

Temporary Status and Extensions:

  • Professions under NAFTA- for citizens of the USA or Mexico
  • Intra-company transferees- for all nationalities
  • Live-in-Caregivers- To care for families, elderly or persons with disabilities in private homes
  • Work permits- Based on a job offer from an employer in Canada
  • Study Permit- Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools
  • Temporary Resident Visa- For tourists and business visitors
  • Temporary Resident Permit - For inadmissible persons

Work permits to cover shortage of workers

A foreign individual who intends to work in Canada is required to possess a work permit and or other authorization to legally do so. The procedure requires a job offer from an employer in Canada and in most cases, a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada before requesting the work permit.  If a LMIA is not required then the employer must, in most cases, file an offer of employment with an employer compliance fee. The foreign national must have the skills, experience and/or education to fill the job offered to them. We assist Canadian employers and foreign nationals with the processes.

To assist you in finding Canadian jobs click on www.workingincanada.gc.ca. Quebec jobs click on www.emploiquebec.net (in French).

NAFTA Professionals

NAFTA Professionals - You may qualify for a Professional visa if you are a citizen of the United States or Mexico and have a temporary job offer in Canada. A list of 60 occupations pursuant to NAFTA is the mechanism in which selected professionals can enter Canada to provide their services. The Canadian job offer must be from the list of occupations defined by NAFTA, the Canadian job offer must be consistent with your education and not exceed three years. Under the Professional visa you may apply for permanent residency and hold temporary status simultaneously.

Intra-Company Transferees

Intra-company transfers for Executives or Managers - If you are expanding your business to Canada or being transferred to an existing Canadian business, you may be eligible for the Intra-company transferee visa. Intra-company transferee visas are available to all nationalities working in an executive or managerial capacity for companies outside of Canada, such as the United States that have branches, subsidiaries, affiliates or joint venture partners in Canada. Qualified employees entering Canada to establish a new office will be allowed an  initial maximum stay of one year. All other qualified employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of up to three years. Under the Intra-company transferee visa you may apply for permanent residency and hold temporary status simultaneously. In order to qualify you must meet specific requirements, such as:

• You must have worked outside Canada full-time for a qualifying organization abroad for one full year within the last three years prior to admission;
• You must have worked for the qualifying organization outside Canada as an executive or managerial position;
• You are being transferred to Canada to work for a new or existing qualifying Canadian business that is the subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the foreign company.

In-home Caregiver

Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in a private household. There is a need for in-home caregivers in Canada. If you want to hire one to work in your private home you may proceed to hire a qualified foreign national, but you will need to need to follow certain steps to meet the requirements. You will need:

  • A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • A written contract with your future Caregiver, signed by you and the Caregiver

Foreign caregivers must meet certain requirements to be eligible for a work permit under the Live in Caregiver Program in Canada. Some of the requirements are:

  • Have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education;
  • Have six months of full time training or have worked for one year with at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer in a field or occupation related to the job sought as a live in caregiver in Canada;
  • Have the ability to speak, read and understand either English or French;
  • Have a written contract with a future employer, signed by the caregiver and the employer

A in-home caregiver may apply for permanent residence in Canada after two years of authorized full-time employment within four years of their arrival date.

Study permits

In most cases, you must apply for a study permit if you want to study in Canada. A study permit allows foreign nationals to attend university or school in Canada. To apply for a study permit you will need to have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. Please contact us for the list of authorized educational institutions. Other requirements to be eligible for a study permit are:

  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    - tuition fees;
    - living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    - return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;
  • A medical examination is required in most cases. Only Panel Physicians approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada can do this exam.

In order to study in Quebec, students must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Ministère de l'Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion (MIDI).

Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visa for tourism and business relations. Millions of people visit Canada every year. To be eligible to visit Canada you must have a valid passport and:

• Be in good health;
• Demonstrate your ties to your country of residence such as a job, home, family and financial assets;
• Have enough money for your visit in Canada. The amount will depend on the length of stay and if you are staying with friends, relatives or in a hotel;
• Prove to immigration authorities that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized visit.

Thousands of foreign business people come to Canada to do business with Canadian companies each year without entering the labour market. Business visitors look for ways to grow their business, invest or make business relationships. Some of the business activities may include:

  • attending meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs,
  • being trained by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada or training employees of a Canadian branch of a foreign company,
  • being trained by a Canadian company that has sold you equipment or services,
  • buying Canadian goods or services for the foreign business,
  • taking orders for goods or services,
  • providing after-sales service advice.

As a business visitor, you must show that:

  • you plan to stay for less than six months;
  • you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market;
  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits, is outside Canada;
  • you have documents that support your application. Contact us for the requirements.

You may also need to apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV) depending on your citizenship prior to your visit. Find out if you need a temporary resident visa.

Temporary Resident Permit

Some people are not allowed to come to Canada if they are considered inadmissible under Canada’s immigration law. There are different reasons that could prevent your ability to enter Canada. Past criminal convictions, financial and medical reasons, security risk.

If you were convicted of an offence in or outside of Canada that is considered a crime in Canada you may be criminally inadmissible to enter the country. Example, driving while under the influence, theft, shoplifting, verbal and physical assault are common offences that individuals may not realize, but can lead to a refusal of their immigration application, refused entry to Canada or deportation if the person is already in Canada.

Depending on the crime and other factors such as when it occurred and how the person behaved since, they may still be allowed to enter Canada if the circumstances are justified. An assessment is beneficial prior to coming to Canada for peace of mind. We will assess the best method (s)  for you to permanently remove inadmissibility and/or temporarily with a temporary resident permit (TRP) so you may remain in Canada or come to Canada.

If you think that you may be inadmissible contact us to seek consultation regarding your situation.